HEALTHY EATING MEAL IDEAS & RECIPES
Following a healthy balanced diet and lifestyle are fundamental in our lives to reduce our risk of illnesses and diseases. I understand that today many people lead very busy and hectic lives with little to no time to cook, develop and prepare healthy and nutritious meals.
This section of the website has been put together to introduce healthy meal ideas that can facilitate your healthy meal choices that are simple to prepare. Losing weight or living healthy doesn’t necessarily mean giving up your favorite foods – you can just make clever, healthier food swaps
We will featuring a new recipe every week here with ingredients that are easily accessible. It will be great to get a kitchen scale so you can get a hang of measuring your portions for cooking
So look out for a new recipe that can serve as Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Lighter meals and even Deserts – yes you can have healthy deserts. Join me – it’s going to be a delicious ride
Slimmer Meal 1 (Courtesy Shaw Nutrition)
CHUNKY CHICKEN & SWEET CORN SOUP
This takes approximately 25 minutes in total to cook.
15g Olive Oil
250g potatoes chopped into chunks
600ml reduced salt chicken stock
100g cooked chicken, chopped
300ml semi-skimmed milk
2 tablespoon corn flour
2 tablespoon water (mix with corn flour)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 pinch of ground black pepper
- Fry onions in oil for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add potatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer, part covered for 20 minutes.
- Add sweetcorn, chicken and milk and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, stirring often
- Add corn flour mixture to the soup, stirring till its thickened
- Add parsley and cook for another few moments.
- Season with ground black pepper
You can take it on its own as a lighter mid-day meal or serve with a slice of wholegrain bread for a main meal. This meal serves 4.
Slimmer Meal 2
TURKEY AND VEGETABLE SAVOURY RICE
This takes approximately 30 minutes to cook excluding prep time.
450g turkey breast, diced
100g mushrooms, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive/sunflower oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
300ml low salt vegetable stock /turkey breast stock if you are boiling
100g sweetcorn or diced carrots
100g frozen peas
240g long grain white rice
- Heat oil in pan Add onions and cook for 2 minutes
- Add mushrooms, cook for 2 minutes
- Stir in rice, add stock with diced turkey breast, peas, sweetcorn or carrot and curry powder. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add water as and when necessary
- Serve on its own or you can sprinkle slices of tomatoes on top.
This easy to make delicious meal serves 4 and requires only 10mins prep time for the turkey breast and chopping your vegetables.