This Letter was sent to me by a very dear friend. Its contents are so instructive and re-assuring. Every word spoke to me and I’m sharing this here hoping it speaks to you as well.
Letter to the “35+ and older” ambitious woman and/or man.
This may be a challenging time for you. A time of sober reflection, that halfway point in life. If you live to be 70 you are now past your halfway point. If you are strong you may have 30+ years of productive work left. Here are some of my reflections, on the halfway point.
- You may not have accomplished all of your goals. Rarely do you find an ambitious person who at this point has achieved everything he/she set out to accomplish. Please do not be discouraged…keep trying. The act of trying, showing up each day gives you something to look forward to. This keeps you young and hopefully gives you time to achieve your goals!
- You may be caught up in a cycle of being everything to everyone, every time and get swallowed up in it all. Please take time for yourself. I promise things won’t fall apart… things will however fall apart if you do not rejuvenate and if you allow yourself to breakdown.
- Let God be God and you be You. Some, who have ambitious goals or have had responsibilities thrust on them tend to have a “god-complex”. When you find yourself taking on more than you should, please pause and ask yourself if You are playing God.
- Allow yourself to dream again, reset/re-evaluate goals. And please be willing to let go of anything that is an unnecessary burden.
- Pray, pray, pray…that has seen me through some rough patches in life. I often ask God to take my 5 loaves & 2 fish and multiply it so that it can feed all of my responsibilities. In essence realize that sometimes it’s not by your might, you do your best and live the rest to God. I have witnessed God’s power at play when I do that.
- This too shall pass! Seriously, for real, no condition is permanent, nothing lasts forever, everything is transitional…valleys today, mountains tomorrow. That is the way of life. Sometime just knowing that deep in your heart lightens the burden.
- Do not postpone enjoying life. We sometimes get so overburdened with our responsibilities that we postpone enjoying the things of today. Please know that tomorrow is not guaranteed. Spend some time with your friends, Laugh real good with your loved ones, take that trip to your happy place…please make time and money for your joy, don’t let anything/anyone steal that from you.
- Lastly, to thine self be true – And hence everybody else. You owe no one any explanations, you are who you are…you like what you like. You have earned the right to be comfortable in your skin. Please do you!
– KJH Oct 13 2019
(Photo taken at my 40th Birthday photoshoot)